Last update: March 25, 2010
|For Halloween 2002 I asked my four year old son what he wanted to dress up as. Of course I handed him my Star Wars Episode II Visual dictionary as his choices... When he saw Jango and the guns he carried he quickly made up his mind. At first I was very pleased, until I realized I had no idea how to make this costume!! Through much trial and error and many great tips from the people at Obi-wans Jedi Academy and The Replica Props Forum, I figured out that paper mache was going to be my best option. And of course... how could I forget the great help I got from the one and only The Dented Helmet?? Thanks to everyone who contributed to help make this costume possible.|
|The jumpsuit I made out of dark blue cotton bed sheets we were no longer using. (Cutting corners cost wise again) I bleached them lighter then dyed them purple. I didn't use a pattern other than my sons clothes to make sure they fit. The sleeves were made by sewing short sleeves over long sleeves and the closures in the above picture were velcro, but have since been modified to be buttons because the velcro didn't work well.|
|The vest was made from a black
leather jacket I bought at a Thrift store. It closes in
the back with velcro - again it doesn't work very well
and I usually end up adding a piece of clear packing tape
when he's going to wear it for a while. I plan to figure
out something more stable and permanent- that is if he
doesn't out grow it first!
The 'rope' belt is a straw belt I found at the thrift store. This picture is before I spray painted it brown. And the pouches were made from a suede jacket I bought at a thrift store.
Sidenote on costuming: When I can't find real leather or suede pieces to salvage from thrift stores, I go with just buying vinyl from Wal-mart. It tends to be a bit stiffer and more difficult to sew, but it is cheaper and you can get larger pieces.
|The first thing of the armor I tried was the helmet. Looking back now, it should have been the LAST thing I attempted... As you can see from the above pictures, I started with a bike helmet and covered it with duct tape and shaped the mask part out of posterboard.|
|In the picture on the right I used
blue tape just to see what it looked like. I was happy
enough with the shape, but not the texture, so I covered
the entire thing with paper mache. As you can see from
the finished picture below, it never really did smooth
out completely. Had I to do it over again I would not
have used the duct tape but rather used wire mesh (I've
only just discovered). It makes things MUCH smoother.
Supplies Needed for Paper Mache:
|The armor was made from paper mache as well. I started with the basic shape cut out of paper to make a pattern. Then, once I was pleased with the size for Danny, I cut them out of poster board. I learned from the first stroke of the mod podge that posterboard will bend when it's wetted with the glue. This actually is VERY helpful in forming the pieces to the right curves. Once the mod podge dries it holds it's shape fairly well. Here are some sketches I threw together of the individual pieces of this armor.|
|As I layered the
newspaper strips on the armor pieces I discovered for
flat pieces you can get a smoother finish if you cut out
the newspaper pieces in the shape of the piece you are
covering and cover the entire surface area with one piece
rather than many different strips.
Each armor piece is covered with about 8 pieces of news print layers and mod podge.
Cut out 4 pieces 1 inch larger than the paper pattern and cut 4 pieces 1/2 inc smaller than the paper pattern.
Brush on a thick coat of mod podge to the front and smooth a larger piece of newsprint over the posterboard. Then brush on a thick coat of mod podge to the back and fold over the edges, cutting in on the curves as necessary and smoothing them down into the glue.
THen take a smaller piece of newsprint and press that into the back, covering all the edges. Do not glue over this smaller piece!
Turn over and put a coat of glue over the front of the piece and let the entire thing dry.
Repeat until you have a thickness you like...
Then cover the front with glue using your finger- for a smoother surface than the brush and repeat 4x before it's completely dry- waiting about 5-10 minutes between coats.
Brush on one last thick coat of glue with the brush (helps to make it really thick) and then, while it's still very wet, dip your finger in water and go over the surface, making it EXTREMELY wet.
Let it dry and do not touch until it is completely dry. This will give it a very, very smooth surface.
I used Kryon Chrome spray paint to get a very shiney surface.
|The leg pieces were done in much the same way. I don't have sketches for this armor yet. As you can see from the knee pieces and the boot pieces there are ridged. THis is before I figured out the above technique of covering the entire posterboard with a full coat of newsprint rather than building layers.|
|The holsters were made from Paper
mache as well... both pieces that hold the guns and the
little metal piece in the middle.
The belt is one of my sons belts and the other pieces are black cotton cord belt that I painted with primer to make them stiff and have the right texture. I glued them onto the holsters and the belt with Elmers Probond (very strong stuff- use sparingly) and then covered them with paper mache to give it a good finish.
Then I spray painted them brown. (being sure to cover the silver pieces in the middle)
The toy guns were a gift to Danny from Arturo who had upgraded his own Jango guns already and was looking for a good home for these.
Here are some
pictures of Danny in his costume
at an Event at an Imax Theater around Christmastime.